jueves, 7 de octubre de 2010

Be used to

Form

be used to + noun or gerund

Functions and examples

We use 'be used to' to say that a situation is not new or strange, or is no longer new or strange.


I've lived here for ten years now so I'm used to driving in the city.
He's not used to working at night so he sometimes falls asleep.
Are you used to the climate?
I wasn't used to working such long hours when I started my new job.

Important points

We can modify 'be used to' with adverbs.


I'm very used to his strange behaviour now.
She should be pretty used to living without electricity or running water by now.


Get used to

Form

get used to + noun or gerund

Functions and examples

We use 'get used to' to say that an action or situation becomes less strange or new.

It took them a long time to get used to their new boss.
Have you got used to driving on the left yet?
She is getting used to waking up early for her new job.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario