jueves, 7 de octubre de 2010

Used to/Grammar

Used to

Form

Affirmative
I used to do
You used to do
He/she/it used to do
We used to do
You used to do (pl.)
They used to do

Negative
I did not use to do
You did not use to do
He/she/it did not use to do
We did not use to do
You did not use to do
They did not use to do

Question
Did I use to do?
Did you use to do?
Did he/she/it use to do?
Did we use to do?
Did you use to do?
Did they use to do?

Functions and examples

We use 'used to' to talk about habitual or regular actions or states in the past that are now finished.


I used to have a dog when I was a child.
I used to used to do football every weekend but I don't have time now.
Did you use to go swimming when you were at school?
I didn't use to like action films, but I do now.
I never used to like spinach, but I love it now.

Important points

We can also use 'would' to talk about habitual actions in the past, but not to talk about past states.

When I was young I used to go fishing with my father every summer.
When I was young I would go fishing with my father every summer.

She used to have a house in the country.
NOT: She would have a house in the country.

1 comentario:

  1. congratulations!!I think that what you did was great,it was agood explanation.

    ResponderEliminar